[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio-0.9.21, alsa-1.0.23, kde-4.4.5, consolekit, dbus

sibu xolo sibxol at btconnect.com
Tue Sep 21 03:12:03 PDT 2010

On Monday 20 September 2010 08:37:02 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 20/09/10 00:41 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Tuesday 14 September 2010 13:58:08 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> 'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 14/09/10 13:33 did gyre and gimble:
> >>
> >> but you really do want to use all the patches from this branch since
> >> v0.9.21 tag (there will likely be another 10 fixes landing later today)
> >>
> >  I downloaded the stuff from GIT.  The bundle was  labelled as
> >
> > [pulseaudio-0.9.19 which is strange considering  the released stuff is
> > labelled 0.9.21.  I did not clean out the original installation before I
> > compiled/installed the git stuff  so a couple of the libraries had 0.9.21
> > extensions  (I merely labelled them as _X).  I then recompiled
> > alsa-plugins and so far  I have sound on all logins and logouts as well
> > as the cli.  So much  progress has been made.
>
> Yeah this is just a quirk of how the versions are labelled directly from
> git... I really do need to fix it at some point.

> >> This is likely an issue to do with using analog playback rather than
> >> digital extraction (DAE) and subsequent software playback. You can
> >> probably use a low level alsamixer  (alsamixer -c0) to unmute the CDROM
> >> element, but really most applications should be using digital extraction
> >> and software playback these days AFAIK.
> >>
> >> I'd ignore this particular problem until all others are addressed :)
> >
> > I still do not have CDROM sound nither with Kaffeine nor KsCD,  I tried
> > an internet search but came up with nowt so any pointers you can give
> > will be grtefully received.
>
> Hmm, interesting. I'll try and see what I can find out for you.

I managed to fix the problem.  It was a udev problem.  After I updated to
udev-162, the /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd  symlinks to  my ide cdrom disappeared.
I used a simple udev rule to re-create these and now cdrom sound plays in KsCD
Kaffeine et al.

Thanks again for your  help. and if ever you want to try  an already made
sample of cblfs on you x86_64-pc  please let me know.