[pulseaudio-discuss] unable to play very small beep (.wav) sounds

Himanshu Chug himanshu.chug at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:38:55 PDT 2011

Hi All

I am able to get the small beep files working consistently using gst-launch
now by modifying tsched_buffer_size param of module-alsa-sink like:

load-module module-alsa-sink tsched_buffer_size=1024,
(buffer size is default to 2s)

I am using timer based tsched audio scheduling , on OMAP4 platform.

I have few questions:

Q1. how does this change affect my system, if I always make
tsched_buffer_size=1024? I suspect it may increase the power
consumption and increase the ALSA
wakeup's , if I reduce the buffer size and period like like this?

Q2. When the beep file is not played on speakers , I can see a lot of rewind
prints from PA
protocol-native.c: Requesting rewind due to rewrite. and it continues and
finally I got EOS from my gst pipeline

I need to know what is rewind ? and what triggers PA to make these rewinds?

and what is "rewrite" here in terms of pulseaudio?

(Just to remind you I can play the beep wav with paplay and  pacmd
play-file,  without any issues and without modifying the buffersize param.
so I am just confused whats going here ? )

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Himanshu

**