[pulseaudio-discuss] padevchooser replacement

Victor Mataré matare at lih.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Dec 14 15:12:48 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 14.12.2011 21:24:45 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Victor Mataré at 14/12/11 19:59 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Am I right in that there's currently (after padevchooser deprecation) no
> > GUI way of choosing the server to use? That's a real problem for me
> > since I frequently switch between local and networked servers, as do
> > other users on my network who can't be expected to use the console for
> > that task.
> > Any idea how to switch servers conveniently without padevchooser?
>
> We generally recommend always using your local PA daemon and using Avahi
> and similar auto discover to automatically add tunnel sinks to remote
> machines you want to use. This way you can move streams from local to
> remote and back again as needed rather than restarting applications
> every time you switch servers.

OK that's nice, but it's not
working:

$ avahi-browse -l -t _pulse-server._tcp
+   eth0 IPv6 jana at wiese    _pulse-server._tcp   local
+   eth0 IPv6 ich at horst     _pulse-server._tcp   local
+   eth0 IPv4 jana at wiese    _pulse-server._tcp   local
+   eth0 IPv4 ich at horst     _pulse-server._tcp   local

$ pacmd list-sinks
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> 1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 0
        name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
        driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
        flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
        state: SUSPENDED
        suspend cause: IDLE
[...]

So it lists only the local sinks, although module-zeroconf-discover is loaded:

$ pacmd list-modules | grep -B1 -A7 zeroconf-discover
    index: 19
        name: <module-zeroconf-discover>
        argument: <>
        used: -1
        load once: yes
        properties:
                module.author = "Lennart Poettering"
                module.de
cription = "mDNS/DNS-SD Service Discovery"
                module.version = "0.9.23"

Am I supposed to do anything else to make it work?

Thanks so far however...