[pulseaudio-discuss] padevchooser quickly choose output device

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 13 11:42:33 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 13/02/11 06:40 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 22:14 -0800, Karl Ostmo wrote:
>> padevchooser was recommended by a commenter on this Ubuntu Brainstorm
>> suggestion:
>> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23754/
>> It would be great if this applet was capable of what is depicted in the
>> poster's screenshot mockup.
>
> padevchooser is deprecated, we don't recommend the program for anyone (I
> don't remember the reasons - it was something about padevchooser doing
> stupid things). There will be no new features in padevchooser. Vote for
> the brainstorm idea, it sounds like a reasonable improvement to me.

Basically padevchooser doesn't speak PA protocol, it just adjusts
properties of the X11 root windows (which libpulse client reads when
establishing connections or connecting streams)

It detects remote servers by talking to avahi directly and not via the
recommended way of using module-tunnel-sink from the local PA daemon.

Because of the above, when changing things the streams need to be
stopped and started and sometimes the PA connection itself needs to be
dropped and reestablished in order for the "preferences" of padevchooser
to be taken into account. It therefore bypasses all other rules which
could be put in place by routing modules such as module-stream-restore,
module-device-manager and module-intended-roles.

For all these reasons, padevchooser is no longer supported.

Hope that clears it up (and that I've not forgotten anything!).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]