[pulseaudio-discuss] Improvement suggestion

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 13 11:46:19 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Olof at 12/02/11 14:07 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi!
>
> This might be the wrong place but I didn't find anything better. I'm
> using ubuntu 11.04 with pulseaudio 0.9.21-63-gd3efa-dirty.
>
> I had severe problems getting a monitor to work because I didn't
> understand that the button with a loudspeaker on the input tab in the
> volume control was something one could click on. It looks exactly the
> same whether the monitor is muted or not. I think there is room for
> improvement here, some kind of indication that the current state is
> muted and one can fix it by clicking here would be appreciated!

To be honest, pavucontrol is an ugly beast! I will try to improve it
when I can but it's always going to be a bit rough-and-ready, and will
likely get support for new PA features first. But user-friendly and
HCI-guidline based UIs are these days included in the DEs themselves.
e.g. Gnome has gnome-volume-control and Ubuntu adds their own interfaces
too. KDE also has their own UIs now.

So while I don't disagree with you, it's probably best to focus on
making the "official" user-facing apps as nice as possible.

If you happen to patch pavucontrol however, I'll happily merge any
patches that improve the UI :)

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]