[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Feb 14 06:36:53 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Gene Kodadek at 14/02/11 13:36 did gyre and gimble:
> Okay, I went back and uninstalled Pulseaudio, wiped all the settings I
> changed, and then did everything all over again.. I'm sure I followed all of
> the steps correctly, but with exactly the same result: the only sound is from
> Jack-aware apps; nothing else has any output at all. After a reboot this is
> true whether Jack is running or not. There are no error messages; visually the
> apps seemed to be working as usual. But no output. The only device that shows
> up in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Device Preferences is that
> dummy output device.
>
> Look, I know I sound like a confused noob here, but in four years of using
> Linux I've never really had any trouble with Linux sound, never tried to do
> any fancy configuring, and have never used pulseaudio. In short, I know very
> little about the Linux sound stack, and much of the available information
> online is confusing and contradictory.

Did you see Jan's reply? I suspect you're still using the wrong command
to load the jack modules into PA.

You need to use "pacmd" or "pactl", not "pulseaudio" itself.

To repeat what Jan said, do not use this:
 pulseaudio -L module-jack-sink -L module-jack-source

but rather use:
 pactl load-module module-jack-sink
 pactl load-module module-jack-source

HTHs