[pulseaudio-discuss] Build assembler errors on ARM OMAP3

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 06:45:15 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 12:52 -0600, Kurt Taylor wrote:

> I am seeing the following when trying to build pulseaudio on an
> ARM-based Beagleboard (OMAP3):
>
>   CC     libpulsecore_1.0_la-svolume_arm.lo
> ../libtool: line 975: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change
> locale (en_GB.utf8)
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:82: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in
> IT block -- `addcs r0,r8'
> {standard input}:83: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in
> IT block -- `movcs r6,r0'
> {standard input}:98: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in
> IT block -- `addcs r0,r8'
> {standard input}:99: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in
> IT block -- `movcs r6,r0'
> {standard input}:119: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be
> in IT block -- `addcs r0,r8'
> {standard input}:120: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be
> in IT block -- `movcs r6,r0'
>
> I am using the normal build (bootstrap.sh, configure, make) on Linaro
> ALIP on the Beagleboard. The build worked fine on a Pandaboard with
> Ubuntu 10.10. It looks like something is different and not being
> detected via bootstrap/configure on ALIP.
>
> I believe configure has identified the architecture correctly. Also, I
> have searched and seen commits in the pulseaudio/ubuntu maillist
> archive for adding "-Wa, -mimplicit-it=thumb". I have added this to
> CFLAGS without success.
>
> Any thoughts on what else I could try?

What CFLAGS are you using? This should only turn up if you're compiling
that assembly in Thumb-2 mode.

I'm not sure if it would actually be desirable to compile in Thumb-2
mode for the OMAP3, but the correct fix for this would probably be to
add an "ite cs" before the addcs  in svolume_arm.c. Could you test this
out (or let me know if you'd like a patch that does this)?

-- Arun