[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

Gene Kodadek gkodadek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 11:10:24 PST 2011

On Monday, February 14, 2011 06:04:25 PM Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Gene Kodadek at 14/02/11 16:54 did gyre and gimble:
> > I would consider PA running all the time to be an acceptable solution
> > except for one thing: as it sits right now, I only have sound when Jack
> > is running.
>
> Well as your default.pa does not even use module-udev-detect, then it's
> unsurprising that you don't have sound when jack isn't running. You've
> specifically told PA to only load the jack sink modules.
>
> This is your configuration, so you are free to configure it as needed.
> You could just run e.g.:
>
> pactl load-module module-alsa-card device_id=0
> (or something similar - I can't remember the exact arguments) and you'll
> get direct alsa modules, but you will of course have to unload those
> modules and load the jack ones when you switch to using jack.
>
> For a fairly static setup (e.g. no hotplug support) scripting this
> should be pretty trivial with a few pactl or pacmd commands (i.e. pactl
> unload-module $MID (where $MID is the module id you want to unload)
> would be used to unload jack modules then pactl load-module
> module-alsa-card device_id=0 would be used to load the alsa modules.
> Then you have to reverse the process (unload the alsa-card module and
> load the jack modules when you want to switch the other way.
>
> This will ultimately be fully automated, but for now you are on your
> own. I think various scripts for achieving basically this have been
> posted in the past however.
>
> Personally what I would do is as follows:
>
> 1. Do not run jack at boot.
> 2. Let PA run with the upstream default.pa (no modifications).
> 3. When you want to run jack, do something like:
>  pacmd set-card-profile 0 off
> (assuming the 0 card is the one you want to change - check pacmd
> list-cards for details on the index to use).
> 4. pacmd load-module module-jack-sink (and source)
>

> Then when you stop running jack run somehting like:
> 1. pacmd unload-module $JMID (where $JMID is the jack module id). This
> step may not be needed as the modules may automatically unload when
> jackd dies.
> 2. pacmd set-card-profile 0 $WHATEVER (where $WHATEVER is the card
> profile (shown in pacmd list-cards) you want to use.
>
> This setup can probably be automated in jack startup and shutdown
> scripts (not really sure) and means you get full hotplug support for USB
> devices etc.
>
> HTHs
>
> Col
>

> Col

There's a problem with that. With the default /etc/pulse/default.pa I have no
sound at login. I can only get sound by loading the jack modules and running
Jack. System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Device Preference only shows
the dummy output and the Jack sink, which cries out to me that there's still
something wrong with my PulseAudio configuration.