[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Allow read-only or non-existing sink input volume.

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at digia.com
Tue Feb 22 08:35:16 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 13:41 +0200, Kaskinen Tanu wrote:
> There are two known cases where read-only or non-existing sink input volume is
> relevant: passthrough streams and the planned volume sharing logic.
> Passthrough streams don't have volume at all, and the volume sharing logic
> requires read-only sink input volume. This commit is primarily working towards
> the volume sharing feature, but support for non-existing sink input volume is
> also added, because it is so closely related to read-only volume.
>
> Some unrelated refactoring in iface-stream.c creeped into this commit too (new
> function: stream_to_string()).
>
> This patch hasn't been tested properly yet, so don't commit this. I just want
> comments if you see something wrong in this patch.

I have now tested this enough to be confident that everything works fine
with normal streams and virtual streams created by sinks that use volume
sharing. I haven't tested streams that don't have volume at all (i.e.
passthrough streams).

It would be nice if someone would test this with passthrough streams
also, but personally I think it would be ok to commit this patch to
master now.