[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Allow read-only or non-existing sink input volume.

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Feb 22 22:28:58 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 21:25 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 22/02/11 16:35 did gyre and gimble:
> > It would be nice if someone would test this with passthrough streams
> > also, but personally I think it would be ok to commit this patch to
> > master now.
>
> OK, I've applied this to master in my tree now after giving it a bit of
> a review (and removing the last bit of the commit message!)

Thanks!

> Only question I had really was related to this inline if which appears a
> couple times:
>
>  has_volume ? !pa_sink_input_is_volume_writable(s) : FALSE
>

> Would it make sense to just return FALSE from
> pa_sink_input_is_volume_writable in the case when there is no volume?

The inline if is used when determining whether a stream has read-only
volume. If the ternary operator is removed, and only the middle part is
left, then the result is that read_only_volume gets assigned TRUE also
when there is no volume at all. I don't think that makes sense, although
it wouldn't be the end of the world, it would just have to be documented
that read_only_volume doesn't guarantee that the volume is actually
readable.

I don't remember if I had any good reasons for having "has_volume" and
"read_only_volume" in the client api instead of "volume_readable" and
"volume_writable", except that I thought that the variables that I chose
were somehow a more "natural" encoding of the two bits. If I would have
chosen to put "readable" and "writable" to the client api, then this
conversion of course wouldn't be needed.