[pulseaudio-discuss] pavucontrol. Also Nvidia HDMI

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 23 06:23:44 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Christopher K. at 22/02/11 00:46 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
> first I'd like to ask if pavucontrol is still maintained, as the last
> release seems to be from 2009.

It is, just no releases for a while. I will be taking over releases for
it in the near term, so expect a release soonish.

Last commits were fairly recent (in Dec). See:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pavucontrol.git

> If it's not, what is currently considered the official way to adjust PA?

Well pavucontrol is a bit of a toy utility really. It wont win any HCI
or design awards, but it is rather functional.

Most of the time we would recommend using the tools provided by your
Desktop Environment (i.e. both Gnome and KDE have native tools to
control PA and there are several other addons developed by e.g.
Canonical which fit in with their own desktop products (I'm not super
familiar with these however)).

> If it is: what could be the cause for an application-icon becoming
> this big: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4872/screenshotax.png
> It's an svg, shows correctly in systray and compiz alt+tab.

Hmm, probably just a run of the mill bug in svg handling. Can you
post/pastebin the output of "pacmd list" when this problem occurs? And
if possible also send me the .svg itself so I can try and replicate
(feel free to send the .svg by private mail or post it on a URL somewhere).

> My second question is about sound over hdmi with an Nvidia GTX460
> (NVC4 /GF104 family):

The HDMI stuff on Nvidia has seen a fair bit of action of late both on
the alsa-devel lists and here. Probably best to ask in a separate thread
rather than combining issues. That way people can reply in context and
it's easier to follow any resulting thread.

Also, you are not subscribed to this list. Please subscribe or you may
end up missing some replies. Alternative you can use Gmane.org to read
and post via NNTP (that's what I usually do).

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]