[pulseaudio-discuss] A few pulseadio related issues

Rafał Mużyło galtgendo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:34:37 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 04:07:13PM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Rafał Mużyło at 28/02/11 15:16 did gyre and gimble:
> > I start i.e. audacious on first display, switch to the second,
> > start another audacious there. Both are playing. I stop audacious on the
> > second and logout there. That stops audacious on first too, as while
> > pulseaudio gets restarted, audacious still holds connection to the
> > server that died. What's more (but that's (argueably) probably a bug in
> > audacious), I need to kill audacious, as I can't just close it then.
>
> Well that's the thing, PA should not die when the session manager dies.
> It's meant to behave nicely.
>
> I susepct it's the session manager that is killing the PA process.
>
> If you unload the various X11 modules (only the ones for the session
> you're logging out of tho' - the same modules will be loaded twice, once
> for each session) gracefully via pacmd/pactl, then log out, does PA
> still die?
>
> If not, then the problem is in the session manager.
As I said in the ticket, the problem arises only with
x11-cork-request and x11-publish loaded - actually, only one of those is
necessary to trigger the bug, though I don't quite remember which one.
start-pulseaudio-x11 loads both anyway.
However, firefox is no longer taken down when on pulseaudio termination,
though that may simply be a result of the change in plugin handling in
firefox.
Same as with rox-session, x11-xsmp doesn't get loaded.