[pulseaudio-discuss] module-alsa-source latency is 1199291857647 ms

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:36:33 PST 2011

2011/1/18 pl bossart <bossart.nospam at gmail.com>:
>> My questions:
>> 1)  The reported latency of 38 years must reflect a bug!(?)  Can this be
>> fixed?
>
> This one made my day. Something's obviously broken here. can you
> provide the full log for us to figure out what went wrong? with only
> some excerpts it's hard to root cause.
>
>> A work-around for the moment is to bypass Pulse by running this command on
>> Machine2
>> arecord -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 44100 | /usr/bin/esdcat   # Lower latency transmit
>> to Machine1
>>
>> Using Puleaudio adds 1.5 seconds in the path.
>
> But it also handles clock adjustments between your local rate and
> network rate. With your work-around you will have some underrun issues
> at some point due to clock drifts.

It depends on the use case whether such adjustments are actually
necessary or useful. The computers in my house deviate about a second
for an hour of audio from each other. So if you are not listening for
long periods of time (though the scenario submitted by the OP makes
that likely), you do not really need rate adjustments. The error stays
within the buffer size.

Maarten