[pulseaudio-discuss] module-alsa-source latency is 1199291857647 ms

Dr. Adrian Wrigley mail at adrianwrigley.com
Tue Jan 18 13:48:27 PST 2011

pl bossart wrote:
>> My questions:
>> 1)  The reported latency of 38 years must reflect a bug!(?)  Can this be
>> fixed?
>
> This one made my day. Something's obviously broken here. can you
> provide the full log for us to figure out what went wrong? with only
> some excerpts it's hard to root cause.

OK.  I have tracked this down a little.  The unreasonable latency *only* occurs
when I use a line like this:

load-module module-loopback source=wireloop sink=esound_out latency_msec=100

but *not* if I specify a longer latency using  latency_msec=1000

So I have a test case configuration file:

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
load-module module-alsa-source source_name=wireloop
load-module module-esound-sink server=missingserver
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-cli
load-module module-loopback source=wireloop sink=esound_out latency_msec=100
# End

When I use this configuration, the "current latency" of wireloop is incorrect.
When I increase the latency parameter, the currency latency becomes 0ms.

A assume that the problem is an over/underflow in a 64-bit calculation somewhere.

I could send the debug output to this list.  What options would you like?

It's not clear to me whether the incorrect latency actually matters to function.
--
Adrian Wrigley