[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Dynamic reconfiguration of sampling rate

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:23:44 PST 2011

> I think the general idea was to stop the pops and clicks that would be
> apparent on some devices (maybe some HDA?) when the device is opened and
> closed (and also to be slightly more responsive but that's probably a
> trivial advantage on any machine made this millennium!).
>
> So I'm not sure we can idle at 0s as a general rule, but as I have very
> limited test hardware (namely my laptop and couple other machine which
> aren't really meant for testing!), I can't really say this with any
> degree of confidence.

I'll do more testing later today. I could see some issues with
networking or interfaces like S/PDIF or HDMI, where the receiver needs
to relock. But for local playback we should be fine. You will still
send zeroes out as soon as the sink-input is created, and there'll be
an interval before the first valid sample is provided by the
application.
-Pierre