[pulseaudio-discuss] Make discoverable PA network sound devices available locally results in huge network traffic

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jan 21 05:34:59 PST 2011

Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It looks like you have pavucontrol open on the laptop

Yes, I do.

> (twice).

Heh.  You are right.

> As it
> connects to all the sources to display a vumeter, an audio stream from
> the desktop to the laptop is necessary.

Ahhh.  Of course.

This is an interesting use case.  It seems that it would be useful to have a
"sound level" RPC in the PA protocol for things just like a vumeter.  Surely
it's much more efficient for the sending side to send "sound level" measure-
ments than to send the actual audio stream for the receiving side to simply
measure.

> It looks like also all the sinks and sources from a third computer
> "jenny" are forwarded to the laptop, further contributing to the
> bandwidth.

Heh.  Yup.  It's an audio free-for-all here.  :-)

> Do you still see excessive bandwidth usage with pavucontrol (and
> possibly other programs) closed?

No, I don't.  Things are wonderful now.  :-)  I would like to be able to keep
pavucontrol open though, obviously without the vumeter penalty, hence my
suggestion above.

Many many thanx for your persistence in this Maarten.  I really do appreciate
it.

Cheers,
b.