[pulseaudio-discuss] Make discoverable PA network sound devices available locally results in huge network traffic

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jan 21 10:29:03 PST 2011

Colin Guthrie <gmane <at> colin.guthr.ie> writes:

> I'm pretty sure it is set in pavucontrol (it certainly is in the code I
> have here), but perhaps something is preventing it from working in an
> ideal way.

I suppose that's possible.  I'd certainly like to believe that's the case rather
than everything is working as it should and peak readings are taking 5Mb/s (3 in
one direction and 2 in the other) of bandwidth.

> Keep in mind it'll be active for all the vumeters... so that
> is every sink, source, sink input and source output.... all in all
> that's quite a lot of vumeter!

I suppose, if the sample rate were absurdly high.  But realistically, a sample
rate of 5-10 per second should be more than sufficient and if you are just
reading integer values, that couldn't possibly account for multiple Mb/s of
traffic.

b.