[pulseaudio-discuss] Make discoverable PA network sound devices available locally results in huge network traffic

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jan 21 11:34:42 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 17:13 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Brian J. Murrell at 21/01/11 17:10 did gyre and gimble:
> > A GUI widget would be more useful I think so that one could twiddle it without
> > having to drop to a command line.
>
> Yeah fair point.
>

> > But even more useful still would be to just use the peak reading mode and/or
> > make
> > the peak reading mode not consume 2-3Mb/s of bandwidth.
>
> I'm pretty sure it is set in pavucontrol (it certainly is in the code I
> have here), but perhaps something is preventing it from working in an
> ideal way. Keep in mind it'll be active for all the vumeters... so that
> is every sink, source, sink input and source output.... all in all
> that's quite a lot of vumeter!

I had a look at some point at the peak detection resampler... I think
the peak detection flag that you mentioned earlier doesn't do anything
else than force the resampler of the source output to be the peak
detection resampler. The peak detection resampler is almost identical to
the trivial resampler - the main difference is that it applies abs() to
all samples, so the receiving end doesn't have to do that. Therefore,
the data rate is equal to normal streams. Maybe pavucontrol could use
some ridiculously low sample rate for the vumeter streams? I don't know
what it uses currently - does it use the source sample rate or what.