[pulseaudio-discuss] Headless pulseaudio server. Creative XFi USB. Can't enable surround on Pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jan 22 16:14:26 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Aitor Pazos at 22/01/11 23:15 did gyre and gimble:
>> 1. Enable network support and use a GUI client on a non-headless system
>> (e.g. PULSE_SERVER=<headless_ip> pavucontrol) and pick a 5.1
>> Configuration profile.
> That's convenient, but the problem is that no 5.1 Configuration Profile is
> listed
>
>> 2. Use "pacmd list-cards" to see a list of card profiles, then then use
>> "pacmd set-card-profile idx profile" to set a 5.1 profile
> Same problem as in solution 1, no 5.1 profile listed.
>
>> 3. Set default-sample-channels=6 in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
> I already did that with no effect. I've adjusted default-sample-rate, but
> setting default-sample-channels has no effects.
>
> pacmd list-cards output:

>         profiles:
>                 output:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Output (priority 1000)
>                 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Duplex
> (priority 1010)
>                 output:analog-stereo+input:iec958-stereo: Analog Stereo Output
> + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input (priority 1005)
>                 output:iec958-stereo: Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958) (priority
> 500)
>                 output:iec958-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Digital Stereo
> (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input (priority 510)
>                 output:iec958-stereo+input:iec958-stereo: Digital Stereo
> (IEC958) Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input (priority 505)
>                 input:analog-stereo: Analog Stereo Input (priority 10)
>                 input:iec958-stereo: Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input (priority
> 5)
>                 off: Apagado (priority 0)
>         active profile: <output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo>

Hmm, seems no surround profile is detected.

We rely on ALSA to support this, but obviously surround51 or any other
analogue surround system isn't working.

I suggest you try to debug at the ALSA level using e.g. speaker-test -D
surround51:0 -c 6

If the surround51 thing works, then PA should automatically see it.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]