[pulseaudio-discuss] Headless pulseaudio server. Creative XFi USB. Can't enable surround on Pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 23 05:51:39 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Aitor Pazos at 23/01/11 13:16 did gyre and gimble:
> Although something in alsa could be wrong, apps can still use surround51
> directly, shouldn't Pulseaudio be as brave as apps?

That's a complicated question. PA uses ALSA in a way that no other apps
do - i.e. in timer based schedulling. PA does expose a number of errors
in the lower level layers.

Many bugs go essentially unnoticed when errors from the lower layers are
ignored leading to subtle and confusing problems, so being quite strict
and fixing bugs as they occur can be a mechanism to improving the
overall quality.

As a stop-gap you can try altering the code to ignore the error and see
if your system still works. More than that you should likely report the
problem (including the debug output) to the alsa-devel list so it can be
properly fixed (if possible). If it turns out this is and "expected"
error, we could look at handling it as such in PA.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]