[pulseaudio-discuss] Headless pulseaudio server. Creative XFi USB. Can't enable surround on Pulseaudio

Aitor Pazos mail at aitorpazos.es
Sun Jan 23 07:59:39 PST 2011

Ok, this might be useful.
Digging into /proc/asound I've find something that might has something to do
with this issue. In /proc/asound/card0/stream0 the 6 channels mode uses a
format that I haven't seen that is supported by Pulseaudio. It tells it uses
format S24_3LE. Is this mode supported in some way?
Could this be the issue?

Interface 1
    Altset 4
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 6
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 48000

After a while.....

I've just realized that there is a S16_LE 6 channels mode as well, and what is
more, it's Pulseaudio default mode!!!! :( (Damm it!! Stupid me). I changed it
just because the soundcard sounded like crap just after plugging it in and I
adjust values to what specifications claimed. The crappy sound might be because
if 44100 being the default-sample-rate instead of 48000.

Now I'm enjoying pulseaudio's 5.1 surround audio through my network. Feels so
good!!!

Thank you very much for your support!!!

Aitor

cat /proc/asound/card0/stream0
Creative Technology Ltd SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro at usb-orion-ehci.0-1.1, full
: USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1