[pulseaudio-discuss] Build system: Makefile.am patches

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 23 05:53:54 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 20/01/11 18:10 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 20/01/11 12:09 did gyre and gimble:
>> Here are two patches proposed for the build system.
>>
>> The first one removes the redundant Makefile.am files in the subdirs
>> under /src. It was annoying me that anytime one file needs to be
>> rebuilt, a whole screen worth of make output about moving into subdirs
>> and seeing nothing has to be done was sent to the console. As far as I
>> can tell they don't serve any purpose, but please correct me if I'm
>> wrong. It doesn't seem to be the case, for example, that one can use
>> these Makefiles to build only a subdir.
>
> Well I only recently added these files in an attempt to fix out of tree
> building (and thus make distcheck). For the first time in ages, I was
> able to run make distcheck and out of tree builds.
>
> Does this still work with your patches applied?
>
> I'll try and test shortly both the patches (i.e. over the weekend)

Yeah the first patch was as I expected. It broke make distcheck.

It also generates all these warnings which are a pain...

  CCLD   libpulsecore-1.0.la
  CC     cli.lo
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/rtp: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/gconf: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/bluetooth: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/oss: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/alsa: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/raop: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/x11: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/jack: No such file or directory
cc1: warning: ../src/modules/dbus: No such file or directory

With the patch reverted, the following works fine:

git clone git://blah
cd pulseaudio
./autogen.sh -V
mkdir dc
cd dc
../configure
make distcheck

With this patch applied, the above fails.

So I'm afraid it's a NAK unless you can inject some Makefile.am foo to
create the necessary folders automatically (my AM foo it too weak and
the Makefile.am's were the way I found to do this)

FWIW, the actual error that breaks things is:

LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/intltool-merge -d -u -c ../po/.intltool-merge-cache
../../po ../../src/daemon/pulseaudio.desktop.in daemon/pulseaudio.desktop
Generating and caching the translation database
Merging translations into daemon/pulseaudio.desktop.
Died at /usr/bin/intltool-merge line 1174, <PO_FILE> line 92665.
make[4]: *** [daemon/pulseaudio.desktop] Error 2

which is really an upstream bug (IMO) I reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/intltool/+bug/605826

If you can provide a patch to Makefile.am that basically does all the
necessary mkdir'ing on the build tree, then I'd happily support dropping
these superfluous Makefile.am's

I'll reply in a separate branch of the thread on the other patch which
I'm testing now :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]