[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI sink is stereo-only

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 24 04:34:26 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Xavier Bestel at 24/01/11 09:45 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 00:42 +0200, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> Radeon devices have nonstandard multichannel support which is not
>> presently documented, and it is not supported by kernel/ALSA.
>
> Ah that's clearer now. So I guess Colin's solution is the only one
> workable right now. Thanks Anssi.
>
> Colin, shouldn't PA create automatically the device you mention (5.1
> through a52 encoder) instead of letting the user tweak his .alsarc ?

Well, the idea would be to ship a suitable addition to alsa in the
distro if they want to support a52.. There are patent issues etc.
involved. I guess we could theoretically do some runtime config tweaks
but I prefer to delegate to a known good, fixed alsa config as doing
runtime tweaks can get a little messy...

It's not been long since this has worked fully so I'll probably ship
said configs in Mandriva and suggest other distros do the same (if they
support a52 at all).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]