[pulseaudio-discuss] Make discoverable PA network sound devices available locally results in huge network traffic

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jan 24 09:40:19 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 17:02 +0000, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk <at> iki.fi> writes:
> >
> > I had a look at some point at the peak detection resampler... I think
> > the peak detection flag that you mentioned earlier doesn't do anything
> > else than force the resampler of the source output to be the peak
> > detection resampler.
>
> So it seems that there is still room for my original suggestion and that's that
> the target of a stream should be able to request just peak samples of the stream
> rather than the whole stream.

Well, wasn't the supposed problem with transferring "the whole stream"
that the data rate is needlessly high that way? If you use a
sufficiently low sample rate, then the data rate is just fine. It just
turned out that monitoring a tunnel sink can prevent the sink from
suspending, which hopefully is fixable.

The current peak detection mechanism smells a lot like a hack, but I
think it actually works quite well, so I don't see the need for adding
separate peak detection features to the pulseaudio protocol.