[pulseaudio-discuss] Build system: Makefile.am patches

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:09:57 PST 2011

Here are two patches proposed for the build system.

The first one removes the redundant Makefile.am files in the subdirs
under /src. It was annoying me that anytime one file needs to be
rebuilt, a whole screen worth of make output about moving into subdirs
and seeing nothing has to be done was sent to the console. As far as I
can tell they don't serve any purpose, but please correct me if I'm
wrong. It doesn't seem to be the case, for example, that one can use
these Makefiles to build only a subdir.

The second patch removes a lot of redundancy in linking to the pulse
libs for every module library.

I would like to take this approach a bit further, but am unsure how.
For example in the following lines:
    module_rtp_send_la_SOURCES = modules/rtp/module-rtp-send.c
    module_rtp_send_la_LDFLAGS = $(MODULE_LDFLAGS)
    module_rtp_send_la_LIBADD = $(MODULE_LIBADD) librtp.la
    module_rtp_send_la_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS)
the CFLAGS line is redundant, because if nothing is specified,
AM_CFLAGS is used anyway. I would like to be able to remove the
LDFLAGS also, as it is always the same for all the modules (but
different from AM_LDFLAGS). Is there any way to specify a different
default LDFLAGS for all the modules together?

Maarten