[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems running pulseaudio on Slackware based system

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 30 03:46:37 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Robert Gabriel at 30/01/11 11:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:29, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Robert Gabriel at 29/01/11 23:38 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Also, if I setup in default.pa:
>>>
>>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
>>> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0
>>>
>>> and make sure that in daemon.conf everything is by default, then the
>>> sound seems to work.
>>
>> What is more surprising is that your debug log correctly shows PA
>> probing for the various profiles and finding them, then creating the
>> sinks and sources correctly...
>>
>> e.g.
>> D: alsa-mixer.c: Profile output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo supported.
>>
>> So I'm pretty sure just setting everything to default in daemon.conf is
>> what fixed it, and you can forget the two load-module's above...
>
> Yes but it only works if I do this in default.pa:
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0
>
> otherwise it doesnt work the sound.

Please remove these two lines, start PA and then do a "pacmd list" and
attach that output here.

I strongly suspect that there is no problem with the sound itself, but
rather one of configuration.

I also see you are running phonon and thus KDE. Depending on how you
boot, this could load a different module for stream routing. But I'll
advise more on that after you supply the above output.

FWIW, the "Failed to find a working profile" error you see is actually
from a second sound device on your machine (card 29, which is a very
high index. Not sure what this is, but it's certainly not hw:0 and is
likely something strange perhaps a docking station or something?)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]