[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems running pulseaudio on Slackware based system

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 30 06:22:48 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Robert Gabriel at 30/01/11 12:13 did gyre and gimble:
> OK, check attachements. There are 2, one when everything is by default
> and the second pacmd1.list.gz
> when in default.pa is set load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0 and
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0.

OK, so the volume on the autodetected in one looks OK (47% is quite low,
but it should be high enough to avoid any issues with muting that can
creep in to some ASLA hardware with poor dB value information).

Can I ask if you can replace your two manual lines with front:0 rather
than hw:0 and see if it still works? This is the easiest test I can give
you, but if this change causes things to break again, then this is an
indication of an ALSA bug which I'll help escalate over to them.

If it works fine, then the plot thickens :D

> NOTE: none of the configuration allows the sound to work when KDE
> starts (you know the welcome sound or whatever is called).

KDE works fine with PulseAudio (I know because I wrote pretty much all
of the integration code). KDE 4.6 should contain all the necessary code
to make this happen without any specific patches on top, but the patches
for previous versions are well known (most distro maintainers have asked
me about what was needed, but I don't recall anyone from Slackware
taking an interest before... feel free to point your dirtro folk in my
direction).

> Also I dont have a docking station.

Hmm, well, there is some other audio device on your system, but as it's
not working with PA it doesn't show up in your debug. I don't think it's
anything to care about, but the fact it is index 29 suggests to me it's
something that kind of comes and goes... either way it can be ignored
for now.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]