[pulseaudio-discuss] Build system: Makefile.am patches

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 31 05:18:41 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 25/01/11 11:30 did gyre and gimble:
>> With the patch reverted, the following works fine:
>>
>> git clone git://blah
>> cd pulseaudio
>> ./autogen.sh -V
>> mkdir dc
>> cd dc
>> ../configure
>> make distcheck
>
> Ah, yes. I was looking for such a recipe.
> I have now made a new patch series where make distcheck works.

Cool. I took it for a test run. It works OK, but not when you have Orc
installed. In that case it still breaks as it generates files in
$top_builddir/modules/echo-cancel/

In an ideal world I'd move them out of there too (like the symdef stuff)
but I've not had time to solve this properly, so I just modified your
first patch very slightly to still mkdir and include this directory for
the echo-cancel module only. That solves the problem and will allow me
to commit your patches.

Hopefully Arun can tidy it up a little later (and also remove the
"build" dir that currently exists with the orc.mak as I'd prefer not to
have a "build" directory under VC (mainly due to me always doing "rm -rf
build" by way of common convention). Tho' that is hardly very urgent :)

> The workaround for this is indeed just to make src/daemon in the builddir.

This was the Makefile.am foo that was just beyond me! Thanks :)

> So the first patch does the mkdir'ing of src/daemon and src/modules in
> the builddir. Also the symdef.h files are now made in the src/modules
> directory, so there is no need to make all the subdirectories. I hope
> that's OK. It means that the include directories in AM_CFLAGS can be
> reduced quite a bit.

So just for clarity, it's slightly modified. I've attached my diff to
Makefile.am just for your reference but I squashed it into your first
commit when I applied it.

> Whether it should be srcdir or builddir in AM_CFLAGS has been a source
> of confusion in the past:
> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=a206ac0fb58d757da30897ca9a64ae642d1865d1
> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=7104d54bbce8f9bd2553e16f45f3a0f69ac75b8b
> The difficulty is that the from a git build the generated headers are
> in the builddir and from a tar build the headers are pre-generated in
> the srcdir. Anyway, that is solved now.

Indeed, thanks for tidying it up. I suspect some folk may not like the
new location due to them doing in-tree builds but you can't please
everyone! If that really is a concern a simple ".symdefs" folder could
be added to keep the vale of "cleanliness". No need until someone moans
tho' :)

> The second patch is the same as the one you rejected. After the first
> patch it no longer breaks make distcheck.

Nice.

> The third patch is some more cleanup in Makefile.am. It should be
> applied on top of Arun's build patches that are in his orc branch he
> referenced in a mail to the list yesterday. I could rebase it on
> master, but the he has to do the same.

Hunk 3 didn't apply, but I fixed it up manually. I think I did it OK,
but you can maybe double check? (the first bit of the hunk applied fine,
but the second but (setting the BUILT_SOURCES to blank) I just
incorporated into the only place it's set by changing += to a plain =.

http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=d766b38e1ba5d483ad7eec105860e9b9f7f55702

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]