[pulseaudio-discuss] understanding PA cork/uncorking scenarios

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 1 01:10:11 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 01/07/11 03:44 did gyre and gimble:
>     e.g. in module-x11-cork-request (which I very much think you should
>     ignore completely and disable in any install as it just gets in the way
>     and results in very strange behaviour due to non-stateful tracking of
>     the current state... e.g. by default if a Skype call comes in when you
>     have e.g. Amarok paused, then Amarok will unpause for you when the call
>     starts and pause again then it ends...
>

> Would be nice if there was module-mpris2-cork-request instead... most of
> the desktop media players now support the MPRIS2 dbus interface (thanks
> ubuntu sound menu) http://www.mpris.org/2.1/spec/
>
> The spec specifies a PlaybackStatus() , CanPause, CanPlay, Play() and
> Pause()
>
> Since you don't have to actually pause phone roles just music/video this
> would do the trick I think..

This would certainly be much more preferable to the x11 cork request but
some issue would be problematic.

1. We need to match up PA streams with mpris2 clients. I think this
should be solvable but I've not looked too deeply at mpris stuff to know
the finer details.

2. Even with this module, the problem of a media player which uses the
PA_STREAM_START_CORKED flag would still be there I think. :(

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]