[pulseaudio-discuss] Ports and profiles

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Jul 5 02:03:59 PDT 2011

Current structure is:

Card -> Profiles -> Sinks -> Ports

UCM has done the (IMHO) somewhat wiser choice of merging profile and
port functionality into a "Use Case" which, given current patches would
translate into PulseAudio profiles. Which means that if we put jack
detection at the port level, we shoot UCM in the foot.

But if we were to put jack detection at the profile level, that would
not work for current sound cards as "Internal Speakers" and "Headphones"
usually share profile (Analog Stereo).

Argh.

One version could be to try to change the structure to instead become

Card -> Profiles -> Ports -> Sinks

...every profile could then have at least one port. But that would mean
some redesign of PulseAudio and I'm perhaps we would bump into some
other problem instead, if we were to do that.

Pulseaudio is indeed entangled with briars. Or at least complex design.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic