[pulseaudio-discuss] Headset-detection

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 6 08:32:47 PDT 2011

[Friendly request: Please try and post plain text emails here and try
not to top-post. See other mails to other users today for a longer
explanation :D. Thanks]

'Twas brillig, and Himanshu Chug at 06/07/11 15:53 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin, Thanks for quick reply

No worries :)

> Here is my default.pa <http://default.pa> (below)
> I am using standard per-user setup, module-udev-detect is not getting
> loaded by default (also not when I inserted headset)
> any help may be useful.

Module-udev-detect should always be present. It's just one module and it
should be loaded at PA startup and should just sit their waiting for
information to come in from udev. It should not be reloaded when you
plug something in.

Youy say it is not getting loaded? Does it exist on your install? Did
you manage to build PA yourself but without udev support? If so, please
see the very big warnings that result when you try to configure PA like
that!

It very clearly warns you when you do not build with udev support!

Are you building your own PA or is it a distro? What platform are you
on? Can you post the result of "pacmd ls".

More comments below.

> _DEFAULT.PA <http://DEFAULT.PA>_
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/pulseaudio -nF
> #
> # This file is part of PulseAudio.
..snip..
> ### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
> ### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
> ### see below -- for doing this automatically)
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0

OK, so here you've modified the default.pa file for your system. You
shouldn't have to do this. It implies a static configuration that
obviously won't work with hotplug by itself....

> #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
> #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
> #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output
> source_name=input
> #load-module module-null-sink
> #load-module module-pipe-sink
> #load-module module-oss
>
> ### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
> .ifexists module-udev-detect.so
> load-module module-udev-detect
> .else
> ### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
> ### lack udev support)
> # kuldeep
> #load-module module-detect
> .endif

..snip..

So udev-detect is attempted to load here, but only if it exists.

If the module does not exist, then I'd suggest you need to look at your
Pulseaudio build process or package to work out why.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]