[pulseaudio-discuss] Headset-detection

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jul 16 15:04:11 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Himanshu Chug at 14/07/11 11:36 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi Colin
>
> Thanks for information.
>
> we were using an old kernel which doesnt have proper udev support
> (something like that I come to know from our kernel team.. :( ), then I
> migrated to latest kernel and now module-udev-detect is built getting
> loaded along with other modules :-)

Ahh good :)

> Next..
>
> I am trying to plug-in/out accessory headset , I guess it should reflect
> in pacmd list-sinks or pacmd list-sources? but I am not sure, how to
> view the updated list of sinks/sources after plugin/out ?

Yeah, those commands should show you your updated devices after plug/unplug.

> also , you mention one comment on my default.pa that ..
> "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0"
> "OK, so here you've modified the default.pa file
> for your system. You
> shouldn't have to do this. It implies a static configuration that
> obviously won't work with hotplug by itself...."
>
> is this affecting ???

It shouldn't affect hotplug of USB stuff, just your internal card. That
said you should still remove that line as it's not needed.

I actually clarified the wording on the wiki page that lead you to add
this line as another user on IRC got caught out by it too. Hopefully
it's clearer now.

So, the problem of your USB not showing up is presumably still there..

If udev is working correctly now, then I'd run PA manually via
pulseaudio -vvvvv and look for the debug that should spew out when you
do the plug/unplug.

My initial guess at the problem would be one of permissions. i.e. your
user may not be allowed to access this new device node that is created.
In a typical desktop env, udev will use udev-acl to give your user
permission via an ACL on the device node. PA will only add a sink/source
if your user actually has permission to open the device.

This last bit is just a guess tho'. Hope it helps.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]