[pulseaudio-discuss] Choppy Sound with Pulsesink on ARM

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 21 13:04:48 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Vallabha Hampiholi at 21/07/11 08:12 did gyre and gimble:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I am running PulseAudio on an embedded platform.
>
> When I use paplay utility to play a wav file the audio is clear.
>
> But when I switch to using gstreamer playback via the pulsesink the
> audio is choppy. I am using default daemon and client conf files.
>
> Attached is the PulseAudio server traces.
>
> Please help me in this regard.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> More details:
>
> Server: pulseaudio --system --high-priority=1 -vvvvvv
>
> Playback: gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! pulsesink

Looks like you're getting stuck in "rewind hell".

This is a problem that gstreamer sometimes triggers due to the way it
sends packets of audio to us.

First of the bad, I'd recommend updating your PA to 0.9.23 to get some
fixes at our end that alleviate this a little (it's not fully fixed, but
David is working on it).

There are also some patches that David wrote for the GStreamer side.
They were committed but then subsequently reverted... we're not really
sure why this is and haven't poked the GST guys about it too much yet,
but it's on the todo list.

That said it may be worth looking out those commits in upstream GST and
reapplying them to see if this helps.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]