[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio runs as mpd user after login

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:42:51 PDT 2011

2011/7/22 Maystar at web.de <Maystar at web.de>:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running the latest kubuntu version on my machine with pulseaudio 0.9.22.
> For log-in I use the standard kdm. Since I've installed mpd, this daemon
> starts already while I'm booting the system. This is nice because I can
> listen music without log in. Unfortunately mpd starts pulseaudio as the user

In my experience MPD works best with pulse in system mode. But as you
are also using that computer as a regular desktop, may be that's not
the best solution then.

How about running MPD in your own user account?
Or perhaps using the alsa output of mpd, and routing that through
pulseaudio with the alsa pulse plugin.

> mpd and this instance is still running, if I'm logged in with my normal user
> account. Because this process blocks my sound card, all my user processes
> can't create any sound. So I have to stop mpd or kill the pulseaudio process
> of mpd to get my sound back. Both must be done as root after each boot. This
> is very inconvenient! Does anyone know a way to kill mpd's pulseaudio
> process on login?

run pulseaudio -k as the mpd user

Maarten