[pulseaudio-discuss] How is a message handled by a filter sink and its master sink?

Lin, Mengdong mengdong.lin at intel.com
Wed Jul 27 07:55:11 PDT 2011

Could anyone introduce how a message is handled by a filter sink and its master sink?

Take echo cancellation as example, I found

1.       The AEC filter sink's message handler is called in its master ALSA sink's IO thread.

2.       It seems that the AEC virtual sink share its master's message queue, right?
Because In module-echo-cancel's pa__init(), I found the following code:
pa_sink_set_asyncmsgq(u->sink, sink_master->asyncmsgq);

Then how a message to filter/master sink is dispatched in one IO thread? Can a message is processed by the filter and then by the master?

Thanks & Best Regards
Amanda