[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio doesn't seem to find my HDMI audio card

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 02:35:42 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Marie-Noëlle Augendre at 09/06/11 09:03 did gyre and
gimble:
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> 2011/6/8 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie <mailto:gmane at colin.guthr.ie>>
>
>     Please:
>      1. Ensure you are not using padevchooser (just remove it from your
>     system as it messes up the client configuration)
>      2. Do a fresh reboot.
>      3. Select the HDMI device in gnome-volume-control.
>      4. Play some sound.
>

> I did just that, and it has not improved. In fact, now I just can "hear"
> some sound from a Dailymotion video when using Firefox. But none of the
> audio programs I have can produce any sound from my music files (I have
> tested with GmusicBrowser, RhythmBox and VLC).

OK, so now you have set your "normal" sound card to Off. Is this intended?

Normally I'd expect you to want to keep both cards available but only
use the one you want at any given time.

Anyway, Firefox is able to output sound, but is that sound going to your
normal sound card or to your HDMI?

If your normal sound card then firefox is bypassing PA and accessing the
h/w directly. THis can cause other apps to not be able to ouput.

In your listing, I do not see any "Sink Input" (i.e. playback streams),
so that suggests no app is actually playing audio via PA at the time you
grabbed it. I would suggest that something is not configured correctly
at that level (e.g. are you apps using alsa output and is alsa not
configured correctly to use the PA plugin? If possible configure the
apps to use PA directly rather than going via the alsa plugin)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]