[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio doesn't seem to find my HDMI audio card

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:44:38 PDT 2011

2011/6/9 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>

> OK, so now you have set your "normal" sound card to Off. Is this intended?

I thought it was one, or the other. Can I have both àt the same time? What
for?

> Normally I'd expect you to want to keep both cards available but only
> use the one you want at any given time.

I didn't even know there were 2 cards in that laptop when I bought it. I
only want the HDMI to work properly so I can listen to some music in good
conditions. Why would I want to use the "bad" audio card?

> Anyway, Firefox is able to output sound, but is that sound going to your
> normal sound card or to your HDMI?

My guess is it goes to the "normal" one, as I barely hear anything with the
volume at 100%. Any other way to know for sure?

> If your normal sound card then firefox is bypassing PA and accessing the
> h/w directly. THis can cause other apps to not be able to ouput.
>
> In your listing, I do not see any "Sink Input" (i.e. playback streams),
> so that suggests no app is actually playing audio via PA at the time you
> grabbed it. I would suggest that something is not configured correctly
> at that level (e.g. are you apps using alsa output and is alsa not
> configured correctly to use the PA plugin? If possible configure the
> apps to use PA directly rather than going via the alsa plugin)
>
> I don't know what alsa is (and I don't know much more about pulseaudio ...)
Why are there 2 different programs? And how are the other applications
supposed to know which one to use? I have looked at the settings in
GMusicBrowser, RythmBox and VLC and didn't find anything that seems related
to alsa or pulseaudio; so I don't know how to configure these applications.

Marie-Noëlle

--
Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en
herbe<http://www.webmaster-en-herbe.net/>

Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com>

Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil
générale<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com>