[pulseaudio-discuss] association of pa_stream to mixer input channel

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 14 04:48:16 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and jayan john at 14/06/11 11:32 did gyre and gimble:
> Thanks Col! That addresses my query perfectly. By "mixer" I meant a DSP
> that "mixes and routes" multiple analog and digital inputs to analog
> (5.1) or digital output.

Keep in mind that if a passthrough stream exists (i.e. a digital input)
then only one stream can exist on the sink while it's is in
"passthrough" mode. This is simply how passthrough works.

> I am working on the implementation of a audio policy management module
> using PA. It requires me to understand both ;) the use of pulseaudio by
> apps and the implementation of PA/ ALSA mixer or sound card drivers on
> an automotive platform.

Please feel free to share your needs in a more detailed way as I'd very
much like to avoid too many use-specific modules that diverge from the core.

In an ideal world we'd build the core routing capabilities in such a way
as to facilitate the needs of those using it and I get the feeling that
right now everyone is kinda doing their own thing and not really
providing much info back to upstream about what they are doing, what
they need and how they feel it should be designed in the core.

So I'd very much welcome any discussions you would like to have about
this topic on this list :)

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]