[pulseaudio-discuss] Device name of audio headset in pulseaudio?

Colin Beckingham colbec at start.ca
Mon Jun 20 07:44:40 PDT 2011

In OpenSUSE 11.4, I have 3 audio devices constantly connected (mobo,
webcam and a USB Logitech headset). All of these get assigned a
/dev/dspX number on boot, mobo = 0, USB webcam = 1, Headset = 2. All
work fine under pulseaudio control.

 From time to time I use a Bluetooth headset which connects via a dongle
adapter. PA detects it fine and allows me to use it with many applications.

One application in particular needs me to tell it using the AUDIODEV
environment variable what device I am using. With the 3 constantly
attached devices this is no problem (AUDIODEV=/dev/dsp0, etc.). However
I have not found a way of associating a /dev/??? entry with the
temporary BT headsets. As far as I can see the list of devices in /dev
does not change when PA picks up the headset. Is this a PA issue or
should I be looking elsewhere?
--
---
Colin Beckingham