[pulseaudio-discuss] Fwd: Re: 2 sound devices, one mostly won't play, but works

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 30 01:14:47 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Doug at 30/03/11 06:17 did gyre and gimble:
> I got your suggested note, "KDE PulseAudio Integration" and tried to
> follow the stuff under Phonon, but I can't find a KDE Control Module.
> There does not seem to be anything like that in the repo, either.
> However, I did find PCLInuxOs Control Center> configure sound
> (I think that's the name) and it had check boxes for "Enable Pulse
> Audio" not checked, so I checked it, and "Enable user switching for
> audio applications," which I also checked.  However, after clicking
> "apply" and xing back out of that, and then checking back, the
> check box for enabling user switching was unchecked.  I tried a couple
> of times, but it won't hold.

OK, so this is draksound (taken from Mandriva). This is not the UI you
are looking for. Under KDE you should have a "System Settings" dialog.
It should be in the menu somewhere but you can also run it via
"systemsettings" in a console. Or if you want to load the sound settings
specifically (which should just be a matter of clicking the appropriate
icon after running systemsettings) you can also run "kcmshell4 kcm_phonon"

FWIW the draksound stuff is out of date. The enable user switching
option is bogus and mislabelled. It actually *disables* user switching
(i.e. it does not gracefully handover the sound device). It hasn't
worked since HAL was eradicated from the desktop, and it should simply
be removed from the GUI.

I will try and tidy up that UI, but it'll be up to PCLOS gues to pull
the changes from upstream Mandriva.

> This section also said the card is
> using ALSA "snd-trident" driver, which is the default.  I found that I
> did not have KDE multimedia, so I installed that, which does not
> occupy a place in bash, but apparently installs about 4 other files.  I
> could not see any result from doing any of the above.
> I never could get any of the screens under the Phonon heading, of
> course, since I don't have the Multimedia tab, or "Audio and
> Video settings."

I don't know anything about the PCLOS packaging, but this GUI should be
part of the kdebase4-runtime package.

This is really a question for a PCLOS specific list/forum tho' as
upstream projects cannot keep track of such things.

> Ran pavctl and got basically the same results as previously, except that
> now the volume control on the panel works, and moves the
> sliders on the top port of the pa control.  the top port is using the
> mobo sound device, as the sound now comes out of the speakers
> again, which are connected to the mobo.  Nothing from the other port, no
> matter what I enable in it.  This other port, of course, is
> what was working when I first posted here, and the speakers then were
> not working.
>
> My previous post answered the questions you asked about the pa version,
> and the results of calling alsamixer c0 or c1.

I'm still not sure what you mean when you refer to "ports". This
terminology doesn't seem to refer to the PulseAudio ports of a given
sink or source, so I'm not sure what you're referring to :s

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]