[pulseaudio-discuss] Reply-to

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:20:55 PST 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM, John Haxby <jch at thehaxbys.co.uk> wrote:
> It comes down to list preference.   Some lists use reply-to, some don't.
> Neither one policy nor the other is correct for all lists and indeed, for
> some lists there is a very strong requirement for one policy or the other.
> The numerous "lively debates" about whether reply-to is evil or the best
> thing since sliced bread want it one way or the other for everyone.   That's
> not ever going to be the case and different lists will always have different
> policies, you'll have to learn to like it :-)

I disagree. I have discussed this to a great extent, and I'm convinced
the arguments used to defend Reply-to munging have already been
debunked multiple times. Yes, we all would have to accept whatever the
list decides, but that doesn't mean they made the right choice based
on the evidence.

Anyway, the point I was trying to highlight is that even normal people
know when to click 'Reply All', it's not hard, it's available in all
clients, and people use it, because they have to.

Once you accept that fact, it becomes much harder to defend the
position that Reply-to should be munged, which goes against RFC 2822,
and makes certain operations impossible.

--
Felipe Contreras