[pulseaudio-discuss] Reply-to

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 09:31:30 PST 2011

On 6 Nov 2011, at 15:20, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM, John Haxby <jch at thehaxbys.co.uk> wrote:
>> It comes down to list preference.   Some lists use reply-to, some don't.
>> Neither one policy nor the other is correct for all lists and indeed, for
>> some lists there is a very strong requirement for one policy or the other.
>> The numerous "lively debates" about whether reply-to is evil or the best
>> thing since sliced bread want it one way or the other for everyone.   That's
>> not ever going to be the case and different lists will always have different
>> policies, you'll have to learn to like it :-)
>
> I disagree. I have discussed this to a great extent, and I'm convinced
> the arguments used to defend Reply-to munging have already been
> debunked multiple times. Yes, we all would have to accept whatever the
> list decides, but that doesn't mean they made the right choice based
> on the evidence.
>
> Anyway, the point I was trying to highlight is that even normal people
> know when to click 'Reply All', it's not hard, it's available in all
> clients, and people use it, because they have to.
>
> Once you accept that fact, it becomes much harder to defend the
> position that Reply-to should be munged, which goes against RFC 2822,
> and makes certain operations impossible.

Well, RFC 2822 has been obsoleted by RFC 5822, though I don't think that what it says about the Reply-To header has changed.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.   I said that some lists use reply-to and some don't and what the different lists use is up to the list maintainers.   I suppose you could be disagreeing with the fact that you'll have to learn to like it (or put it with it), but that's your prerogative.

If you really want to change the world then this is the wrong forum.   You should convince the mailmain maintainers to drop the option for a reply-to header and if you want to remove the reply-to header from the standard then you'll need to convince the right group of people on the IETF.

You should read what RFC5322 says about the treatment of Reply-To (section 3.6.2 and 3.6.3): you may decide that the client that you're using (gmail?) has a bug and in that case you should take it up with the maintainers of that client.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, this discussion is inappropriate for this list, you should take it elsewhere.

jch (ex-very-long-time mail system developer)