[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Nov 9 02:28:38 PST 2011

Am Mittwoch, 9. November 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Montag, 7. November 2011 schrieb Maarten Bosmans:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have two users on my laptop. When I start to playback sound from
> > > the session of the first user and then switch to the second user
> > > pulseaudio stops to play back sound from the first user. This way I
> > > also do not hear appointment reminders from the session thats
> > > currently not active unless I switch again.
> >
> > Correct. This is by design.
>
> I have removed Pulseaudio from my main machine now again.
>
> To be fair, sound playback via ALSA does not work in mutiple sessions
> in the moment too. If Amarok is playing on one session I can´t play
> audio from the second one. I thought that this would be mixed
> automatically. Maybe there was some asound.conf in place that I
> replaced my one for Pulseaudio. Thus at least this seems to need
> additional setup with ALSA too on my machine at the moment.

Easy enough:

dmix is set by standard as of ALSA 1.0.9rc2 [1]

but getfacl shows that only one of my users is added to the ACL list for
device files in /dev/snd. Whyever...

So its going to be the good old way around: I added both users to group
audio. I removed them from there for the perfect pulseaudio setup.

Now I get simultaneous audio on both sessions without a glitch. And
frankly I don´t care whether thats by design or not. I even don´t care
about the recording issue for these two users, cause they are both mine.

A mailing list reader suggested a VM for the second user, but all I just
want is two KDE sessions with audio simultaneously and now I just got want
I wanted. Why use a VM when its not needed?

I still hope that Pulseaudio can give me this by a simple configuration
option one time. I stand by it that this is a perfectly valid setup and do
not want to dictacted to organize my stuff differently by software or
design.

[1] http://alsa.opensrc.org/Dmix

Ciao,