[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Nov 9 02:35:01 PST 2011

On 09.11.2011 11:28, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> So its going to be the good old way around: I added both users to group
> audio. I removed them from there for the perfect pulseaudio setup.
> I still hope that Pulseaudio can give me this by a simple configuration
> option one time.

If you can have applications play directly to ALSA from both sessions,
you can also have 2 pulseaudio servers, one per user, both connecting to
ALSA, no? That should work, no?

> Why use a VM when its not needed?

Why use 2 user accounts?
If it's for mental organization, there are easier solutions, like 2
virtual screens.
If it's for security, the VM is better.
It was just a suggestion, because I *can* sympathize.

> I ... do  not want to dictacted to organize my stuff differently by software or
> design.

I agree here.

Ben