[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC 0/5] bluetooth: Use BlueZ's media API only

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 10:11:25 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 16:12 +0100, Mikel Astiz wrote:
> The following patches propose the removal of the old (to be deprecated)
> socket-based IPC mechanism. A lot of code is removed so please review
> this carefully, since we have been able to do limited testing only.
>
> These patches require some fixes in BlueZ, which have been submitted
> to the corresponding mailing list.
>
> Mikel Astiz (5):
>   bluetooth: Fix property reply handling for hfgw
>   bluetooth: Avoid duplicating profile argument twice
>   bluetooth: Avoid using IPC mechanism to BlueZ
>   bluetooth: Removed library for IPC to BlueZ
>   bluetooth: Change profile to a2dp_source automatically

Is this meant to be RFC only or are the patches good to merge. Patches
1, 2 and 5 look fine to me. 3 and 4 are likely a no-go. Luiz and I spoke
about this a few weeks ago, and I am given to understand the BlueZ Media
API has been around for a few months?

While it's nice to move with the times and use the current API, I
wouldn't want to leave people who are dependent on old versions of bluez
in the lurch. In general, I'm fine with dropping support for
dependencies that are more than a year old.

Colin, Tanu, desktop/embedded packagers -- thoughts?

-- Arun