[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC 0/5] bluetooth: Use BlueZ's media API only

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Nov 17 11:19:41 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 23:41 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 16:12 +0100, Mikel Astiz wrote:
> > The following patches propose the removal of the old (to be deprecated)
> > socket-based IPC mechanism. A lot of code is removed so please review
> > this carefully, since we have been able to do limited testing only.
> >
> > These patches require some fixes in BlueZ, which have been submitted
> > to the corresponding mailing list.
> >
> > Mikel Astiz (5):
> >   bluetooth: Fix property reply handling for hfgw
> >   bluetooth: Avoid duplicating profile argument twice
> >   bluetooth: Avoid using IPC mechanism to BlueZ
> >   bluetooth: Removed library for IPC to BlueZ
> >   bluetooth: Change profile to a2dp_source automatically
>
> Is this meant to be RFC only or are the patches good to merge. Patches
> 1, 2 and 5 look fine to me. 3 and 4 are likely a no-go. Luiz and I spoke
> about this a few weeks ago, and I am given to understand the BlueZ Media
> API has been around for a few months?
>
> While it's nice to move with the times and use the current API, I
> wouldn't want to leave people who are dependent on old versions of bluez
> in the lurch. In general, I'm fine with dropping support for
> dependencies that are more than a year old.
>
> Colin, Tanu, desktop/embedded packagers -- thoughts?

Speaking as one of the embedded packagers - for us this would be fine,
since we already use the Media API. But otherwise this seems very
questionable. The important thing is how many users' distro still
provides only the old BlueZ interface. I'd expect that to be a large
number. Replacing a system daemon is a major hassle, so it would be very
hard to upgrade to a newer Pulseaudio version if bluetooth functionality
is needed. Even one year seems a bit short time to me.