[pulseaudio-discuss] System freeze

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:57:48 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM, dirkydirk <dirkydirk at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recently I have updated my debian sid box to the latest gnome 3, which
> installed also PulseAudio. Pleasantly, sound worked out of the box, even
> flash, and my sound card SB XFi-Extreme Audio is detected and used (had
> to use onboard sound for Linux prior to that).
>
> But alas, a big problem occurs: every time I play music via a gstreamer
> app (rhythmbox) and play a flash in firefox, after a minute or so the
> whole system freezes. I mean, the whole system: no mouse, no keyboard,
> even ssh from a different computer does not work. And sound loops
> endlessly.

This is very unlikely a PulseAudio problem. Which kernel are you
using? Do you see any Oopses in the logs after rebooting? Did you
stress-test your system under different circumstances? I would also
suggest you to test audio without PulseAudio, just ALSA natively, just
to rule out some factors.

Daniel