[pulseaudio-discuss] udev detect not working

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 2 12:31:33 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and John Frankish at 02/10/11 12:23 did gyre and gimble:
>>> try?
>>>
>>> There may be some udevadm tricks (I'm not an expert), but other than
>>> that you could just scatter some more debug statements throughout
>>> udev-detect code and try and suss it out.
>>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but scattering debug statements in the udev-
>> detect code it a little beyond me (unless somebody suggests what to put
>> where).
>>
>> Does anybody else have any ideas?
>
> Udev is definitely finding the sound hardware:
>
> $ udevadm info -qall -p /sys/class/sound/card0
>
> P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0
> E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0
> E: SUBSYSTEM=sound
> E: SOUND_INITIALIZED=1
> E: ID_BUS=pci
> E: ID_VENDOR_ID=0x8086
> E: ID_MODEL_ID=0x27d8
> E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1b.0
> E: ID_PATH_TAG=pci-0000_00_1b_0
> E: SOUND_FORM_FACTOR=internal
>
> I take it the pulseaudo module-udev-detect depends on 78-sound-card.rules - is there some minimum version I can start from to troubleshoot?

Yeah 78-sound-cards rules is needed.

Not sure about minimum version but PA should work with any fairly recent
used (i.e. the last few releases).

Re debugging I was just thinking about putting in some calls to
"pa_log_debug()" at various points between the module loading and the
printing of the "found 0 cards" line.

I've not looked at the code recently, so I cannot comment more than that
just now.

I'll be kinda busy for the next little while so can't really help at the
moment, but if I get the chance I'll try and cook up a debugging patch
you can apply. But feel free to have a go yourself :)

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/