[pulseaudio-discuss] Configuring alsa mixers in the "off" profile.

Matti J. Aaltonen matti.j.aaltonen at nokia.com
Fri Oct 7 05:24:42 PDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 01:31 PM, ext Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 10:24:40AM +0300, Matti J. Aaltonen wrote:
>
>> But then I don't get why the radio should be able to say when the
>> [analog] "stream" starts and stops (and what do you actually mean by
>> that?). Isn't it possible in the above scenario to simply turn on
>> the cross wired amp if the analog radio needs it etc. and not the
>> other way round?
> I'm sorry, I can't parse what you're saying here.  What do you mean by
> "the other way around"?  A complete audio path needs both an input and
> an output.

I was just thinking about our example system with a DAC and the radio both
connected to an amplifier. In that system - as it was - the amplifier
was controlled
by the DAC codec. Now to have on output for the analog radio the amplifier
should be handled as a separate audio card, right? And then the analog
radio and the
analog amplifier could form a proper audio path.

And the DAC would act as an output for the rest of the (digital) system
and as analog input for
the amplifier. Still correct?

>> Are there any good examples that some of "us" should look into?
> All ASoC drivers do this, it's a really basic part of the framework.
> You can see examples of automatic management in the way the DACs and
> ADCs are handled, and in the way the jack detection is integrated with
> power management.

Yes, but what I was in a way driving at was to find an example of a
codec written
for a purely analog device like the amplifier above. It would surely be
different from
normal codecs (or am I wrong)?