[pulseaudio-discuss] Screen casting with PulseAudio

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 18 05:22:56 PDT 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:15:13 +0200, Michał Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>
wrote:
> Dnia 2011-10-18, wto o godzinie 14:03 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont pisze:
>> If the user has selected "I want to record (or stream) my desktop",
>> how does the application get hold of the desktop audio? In other words
>> how should it select "a" sink monitor source?
> "It" as in "the application" should not, at all.

Oh really?

> The user should select
> that monitor in his volume-control of choice.

So where in pavucontrol do I select the VIDEO source? Duh?

> Even Skype does that now.
> The drop-downs in Skype's sound preferences only contain "Pulseaudio"
> here.

Skype is a voice call and videoconferencing tool. Using the default
PulseAudio source makes perfect sense there. First time, it will get the
default microphone. Next time, it will get the source that it had the
previous time if available. All is good for Skype.

If the user selects desktop recording, this does not work.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/